LEARN MORE ABOUT HVAC
We consist completely of volunteers
We rely solely on donations to fund our operations
We operate 365 days a year – including holidays and inclement weather
We operate 3 ambulances, 1 first responder vehicle and 1 chief vehicle
We received our current home at 970 Goffle Road in 2006
We are your neighbors, family members, co-workers, coaches and friends
We are one of the oldest all-volunteer ambulance corps in New Jersey History
In 1932, realizing the need for emergency ambulance service in Hawthorne, a group of veterans founded the William B. Mawhinney Memorial Ambulance Corps. The Corps (now HVAC), sponsored by VFW Post 1593 and named after the Rev. Wm B. Mawhinney, Pastor of St. Clements Church, went into active service on Memorial Day 1932 and was housed at Police Headquarters on Garfield and Lafayette Ave.
In the early 1950’s, the Borough built a three-bay garage in the rear of the Old Municipal building to house the ambulances and provide a meeting room for HVAC.
After the fire that destroyed the Old Borough Hall in 1978, a new two-bay garage and meeting room were constructed for HVAC. This served as our home for over 26 years. During that time we grew from having two ambulances to three, plus a first responder vehicle. In February 1997, a request for our own building was approved. After a long search, we celebrated with the dedication of our new headquarters at 970 Goffle Road on November 2, 2006.
Over the years, HVAC has purchased over 21 ambulances and have had a few support vehicles generously donated. Presently, we have three ambulances, a first responder vehicle, and chief’s vehicle, along with two bicycles.
HVAC is also a proud member of the 17th district of the New Jersey State First Aid Council.